Prototype is an antagonist and attraction in Fredbear's Fright.
Prototype is an early version of William Afton's animatronic endoskeletons, and is an almost bare animatronic endoskeleton, only wearing an head taken from another suit. This head greatly resembles the head of Scrapped Mousiki, being a mouse head with a bowler hat although it has a shorter muzzle and the mouth is fixed in a smile. It has five fingers on each hand, which would indicate that the endoskeleton was intended to be used as a Springlock suit, but has only three toes on each foot.
Prototype is first active on Night 2 and will remain within CAM 1B. It will begin standing on the stage, and will progress to putting the mask on and then running towards the Office. The player can watch Prototype using the camera system to slow this progression down and delay it's attack. Once Prototype leaves CAM 1B it can only be defended against by closing the left door, which will sending it back to the stage and begin the process again. Failing to close the door in time or leaving Prototype unattended for too long will cause it enter the office and jumpscare the player, resulting in a game over. Prototype is also active during Night 3 and is more aggressive, however the method used to defend against it does not change.
Prototype is one of the potentially active animatronics during Custom Night, which is unlocked from the extras menu after beating Night 5. The player is able to set the difficulty of its AI with 20 being the hardest and 0 being completely deactivated. Its mechanics are unchanged from the main game, however setting its difficulty to higher levels results in Prototype progressing much quicker and requiring more attention to keep it in CAM 1B.
- As the mask Prototype wears does not appear to have any seams around the mouth for the animatronic parts, it is possible that the mask is actually from Rodger from the sequel.
- It is not known if Prototype is the same character from the sequel or if the two just share a name.
- Prototype is the only animatronic that Phone Guy refers to by name.
- Judging by the phone call on Night 4, Prototype seems to be the one who assembled Fright and is likely using it's own endoskeleton as the base.
- Prototype is the only animatronic that does not appear during Night 4, which is likely due to its relation to Fright.